Dart Competions

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:54:47 +0800

Martin, I still feel that your attempt to understand all the politics of the Empire through a purely military metaphor kind of misses the point. War may be politics by other means - but that doesn't mean politics is simply a low-intensity war. Dart Competitions aren't just commando types (though there are plenty of that kind), but rituals and all sorts of magic. Probably lots of stuff that just isn't meaningful outside of a high Lunar social context.

> If I am a noble without the means to build a strong DC
>force, but I had a large army at my disposal, I would use that army to occupy
>your territory, reducing your support, taking your revenues and killing your
>folowers.

        The use of Dart Competitors rather than armies for the battles between houses is not simply a matter of opportunity. When the Emperor is alive, using a private army in any serious way against your enemies gets demons called down on you. A private army is thus discouraged - its useless for competing with your enemies in other clans, except during an interregnum, while channeling your resources . DCs are an Imperial policy to channel the aggression between noble houses into directions other than warfare.

>The reason, David, why armies do not wander the Heartlands is simple, there
>is no military requirement to do so, in fact there is a cost to such displays
>of operational power.

        No, its an Imperial policy to discourage those armies specifically. The noble houses who compete in the Dart Competitions are not nations who compete using what resources they have as they can, but part of a complex society who compete within a relatively rigid set of rule.

>Should that situation change, then the use of armies will be as Lunar as DH.

        As Dart Competitions appear to be a consistent Imperial policy, if the Dart Competition policy changes its probably because the Red Emperor isn't around to enforce it....

	Cheers
		David