Gregging, repeated

From: James Chapin <71022.1646_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:21:03 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:glorantha_at_chaosium.com

"I'm going to lay it out for those of us who have not yet figured this out:

We DO NOT MATTER TO GREG'S "VISION".

It's that simple."

Look, it is obvious from my outsider position (and only in a community as small and intense as this one would someone who knows as much about this topic as I do be an outsider!) that Greg is what he says he is -- a Shaman and a Trickster. Sooner or later, he will "betray" ANYONE -- including himself -- in the course of his explorations. The fact that Greg is a nice guy doesn't matter.

He thrives on the exploration and the chaos it brings in its wake. The rest of us love the world, but need it to be organized so we can play in it. Marx once said "I am not a Marxist." Christ was certainly not a Christian.

To get a "religion" or a "world" organized depends on the creator going away. "Jesus, don't come back!" Things get organized for the "rest of us" only after that creator goes away. Paul organizes Christianity, the Caliphs organize Islam, the Rabbinate organizes Judaism, and so on. But this won't happen while Greg is around. Instead the same process of disillusionment will happen, repeatedly. And each person or people involved will be equally surprised when it happens to THEM.

"If only the Czar knew!" The Czar knows, at some level, as always. Which
lieutenant is in "charge" at the moment doesn't matter. He too, will be cast aside in his own time.

Jim Chapin