Re: freeform fun

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:49:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/00 6:18:41PM, you write:

<< But to claim that because a couple of hundred people  played a freeform, most of whom probably played it because freeforms  are fun as opposed to being introduced to some Gloranthan truth, is just  plain arrogant. But then again being a Labour supporter you probably  have a problem with real and imagined truth.

I think this is a bit unfair: of course they played for fun, what other reason would there be? Discovering Gloranthan 'Truth' is some part of that fun, but also the truth itself must be fun for us to continue to 'play' in/with Glorantha. The MGF principle could be summarised as 'if its fun then its true'. Otherwise it would be Glorantha; the dull world that is no one is interested in. I have yet to see a convincing argument for the 'Moonson is Singular and everyone knows it' , but appreciate Martin trying to convince us. However, I feel that an argument that relied on convincing pelorian metaphysics, on explaining the rash of dodgy masks described in FS, on creating opportunities for interesting Lunar politics and magic would be better than whinging that the RMM was acting in an arrogant way. In some ways, I can see that it appears that the RMM position is arrogant, and in some ways it probably would be if their position was a boring one. However, arrogant or not, I think the RMM position is a better one. (the main exception being the Gloranthan Imperial Market, which I hate

Anyway, I've enjoyed the debate an think it has been useful.(fun even)

Keith N