Re: Publishing

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:29:12 -0700

> Roderick,
> ========
> Thanks for the response, but I think you missed the point. I wrote
>
> > I think it is extraordinarily fucking rich for _any_ official
> > representative of Issaries/Chaosium to complain about the lack of
> > published material for Glorantha.
>
> and that was entirely my point. It was a response to an accusation
> about the _volume_ of publication. Nothing to do with the quality of
> arguments. If MOB, say, publishes bollocks, I'll be among the first to
> say it's bollocks. But I'll still be grateful that he published
> something I could comment about, and not complain that he hasn't
> published more.

No, I think I got your point, but mine is that Martin (nor Wes, nor myself, nor anyone else involved in writing right now) is *not* an official representitive of Issaries. Greg is currently the only one of whom that can be said. No matter *what* Martin (or I, et al.) says, it is his opinion and interpretation. Yes, he's got an inside track, but it still isn't Greg talking. Greg has not complained about the volume (that I recall, and it's still early for me today, so he *may* have).

Meandering thoughts:
Greg and Issaries are finally coming out from under a s**tload of trouble - the AH deal, the Mythos debacle, personal trouble. Should he have published more? I think we all would say "yes". *Could* he have published more, not really. That we are finally seeing an "official" Gloranthan product that isn't deep background material is a testament to both Greg (for persevereing) and the fans (for writing).

The current flap reminds me of the fights between [choose one: Emperor and Senate, King and Parliement, President and Congress]. For many years the fans have been stronger than Greg. Greg is now trying to rebalance that relationship and is facing resistance from the fans, who have their entrenched opinions. *BUT* - without both Greg *and* the fans, Glorantha would be simply a happy memory and the occasional question in Rec.Games.FRP. Misc ("Whatever happened to Glorantha? Man, that was a neat world, too bad it died").

Roderick
RR