Red Moon and Aldachur

From: Dr Mark Galeotti <m.galeotti_at_his.keele.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:28:51 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Comrades!

Of course, no posting would be complete without some reference to the running Lunar debate. Let me just say that the collaborative nature of Glorantha is not simply what kept it alive through the years of drought, but what had made and continues to make it so distinctive and vibrant. I just hope that, whatever the public postures and debates may be, Issaries takes note of this. And in this context, it is encouraging that Martin is still posting (or should that be riposting?) rather than just thinking 'sod the lot of you, I'm writing SGU how I want to and you can just live with it'.

For what it's worth, though, I think the RMM crew have done a wonderful job of breathing life into the Empire, and I'm a wholehearted supporter of the Soviet Moon, Chris Gidlow's patriotic tunes and all. And is a Soviet satire that much more culture-shocking that those 'quirky Californianisms' everyone regards as part of Glorantha's charm? And Ducks? But maybe I've been in its RW counterpart too often not to thrill at the thought of Heartland Corps hoplites marching in their serried ranks through Red Square to a heart-swelling chorus of the 'Red Vexilium'…

The real reason for this posting, though, has nothing to do with Issaries, Hero Wars or even fragments of the RE's soul. Has anyone out there done much on the town of Aldachur? There are bits and pieces in KoS and other sources, and I've read John Hughes's excellent Far Point material in the Digest. Is there some other obvious source I'm missing? Any pointers would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Mark Galeotti
hia15_at_his.keele.ac.uk