postures

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:31:18 -0700

>This posture is not Crossed Leg Style: you must keep your foot over another
>leg.
>IMO, many Idols of Lunar Rufelza, Valare Addi, and Nysalor, Jernotius keep
>this posture but if Pelorians don't have habit of sitting over Legs
>directly, difficult style.

        I think Greg deliberately used some Indian postures in representation of Lunar deities. In Indian (and Tibettan and many others) particular postures have various symbolic meanings. There are also mudras, particular hand gestures that have special meanings. These are also used in representing some Lunar deities.

         Yara Aranis, for example, is represented with particular hand gestures - beckoning and magical warding, and an open palm, and a specific posture (left leg behind right knee). And Hon Eel is represented in a specific posture (left foot on right knee, in mid dance). Shargash always has a beckoning empty hand.

        The Red Goddess often has both a specific posture (cross legged - also a common representation of Nysalor) and special hand gestures (the welcoming and peace gestures).

        There are also lots of uses of particular symbolic objects to represent particular deities.

	Cheers
		David