Alda Chur and Ironfist

From: Dr Mark Galeotti <m.galeotti_at_his.keele.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:39:23 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Comrades!

Many thanks to those who replied to my questions about Alda Chur, and especially John Hughes, for his splendid notes on the 'Glass-Walled Jewel'. I had originally been thinking of a lumpen, rough-hewn 'dark age' town with a few showcase modern buildings, but the idea of a resettled ruin, spanning ancient (worn) glories, shanty-town and new-builts is a very nice on, which I will eagerly and shamelessly steal. While I'm at it, John, let me just say how useful, insightful and convincing your tribal backgrounds have been. Given that I plan - at first, at least - essentially to confine my campaign to the city, it is great to have such a rich resource to draw on.

Of course, that said, I really ought to try and get hold of Questlines I. Anyone have any bright ideas?

And speaking of bright ideas, does anyone have any insights into Harvar Ironfist they'd like to share? Opportunist politician? Kin-murdering quisling? Hero (with a capital H) in the making? Champion of his tribe and cult, happy to use the lunars to further his ends? Misunderstood saviour of Far Point, who realised that, well, resistance was futile? Of course, the wonderful thing is that he can be all of these at once…

There's a temptation to extend the RMM Soviet analogy that bit further and portray him as a General Jaruzelski figure, declaring martial law and repressing Solidarity to forestall the Russians intervening in Poland, with all the bloodshed that would bring. (Old Polish joke, from the Warsaw Pact days: a soldier is asked who he would fight first if there was a re-run of what happened in 1939, with the Germans invading from one side, and the Russians from the other. 'The Germans, of course', comes the reply. 'Duty before pleasure.') But this would dilute the tribal/religious angle. Instead, I feel that the young opportunist who crushed the Righteous Wind was driven largely by personal and tribal ambition, but that with age (and the discovery of the Bigger Wind?) on the one hand he has learned the arts of administration (to supplement leadership) but he is also becoming consumed by dreams of a greater role in history, and cult issues. Any thoughts?

Finally, let me encourage everyone to read the transcripts of Nick Brooke and Chris Gidlow's Lunar Way Seminar (http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie/seminar.htm) and Lunar Cultural Exchange (http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie/exchange.htm). They're not just a lot of fun, but they help put the whole 'is the Lunar Empire the Soviet Union/Rome/whatever' debate into a very useful context, both making it clear why the RMM crew draw the parallels they do, and the limits to it. And also a nice exploration of just how the lunars can be at once the most progressive, liberal and forward-thinking people around as well as the most ruthless, oppressive and conspiratorial bastards.

Bye,

Mark

Mark Galeotti
hia15_at_his.keele.ac.uk