French edition

From: Frederic Ferro <ferro_at_princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:38:10 +0200

on 5/19/00 in Glorantha Digest V7 #653, Xavier <spinat_at_poly.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
> the map is completely different of the ones made by Issaries.
> It is a very nice color map of our beloved Lozenge.
> All I can say is that I liked it better than many maps I saw before...
> So there's no "deluxe" box, but just an awesome map.
> Doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me.

The map in the Oriflam translation of "Genertela" was pretty indeed but had a few mistakes. There was a range of mountains in northern Pent which does not exist according to Gods of Glorantha. The Poralistor and the Arcos rivers were inverted. This is not a problem for players since GM's can say that all the maps are subjective but it means the French Glorantha differs slightly from "GAG"...

Other regional maps had other typos and some place names were not translated (e.g. Boldhome, Tarinwood, Tarpit).

By the way, shouldn't Dragon Pass be translated as "Passe _des_ Dragons" and not "du Dragon"? Do you know if the word "lunar" is still kept untranslated in the French edition? In my campaign, we use the word "lunar" only for the silver currency (sounds like $) and "lunaire" for the civilization.

> The drawings in it won't be the same as the US version

That could be a problem too. French illustrations are usually good per se but can be a little "ungloranthan". The Aldryami in the superb French edition of Elders Secrets sometimes look like Tolkienian Noldor.

I'm looking forward to seeing it anyway as the people at Multisim really love Glorantha.

Frederic

http://www.geocities.com/anacharsis_2