PRAXPAK a desperately needed supplement for HeroWars.

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_urbanet.ch>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:15:22 +0200

I agree completely with whoever said that Glorantha was mostly a "blank land". IMNSHO, Balazar was the *only* place that was not blank ! Dragon Pass & especially Sartar was only a few maps with a few tantalizingly named places of notes. We knew more about Holy Country after the RQ Companion, than we did about DP ! More infuriating perhaps was Dagori Inkarth with its lovely & detailed map with scarcely any detailed info except for Crabtown, Grubfarm, Munchrooms, Redstone & later Adari (Thanks Oliver & RMM !). We had to wait 'til Drastic: Darkness to have a short description of all place-names ! (Thank you so much, Stephen Martin & all your collaborators, your work is very gratefully appreciated around here...) Do you consider the Risklands & Dorastor really playable & unblanked if you don't have at least a rough sketch of Biliniland if not of Talastar itself ? Don't know about you, but I don't...

Now, let's turn to the old stomping grounds: the "Plaines of Prax". What is the description of Pavis-Outside-the-Walls worth without any description of Pavis *County* ? What are Pavis Inside-Out, Sun County (Thank you so much, MOB, your book is still being *used* by my players & I after all those years), Raus'domain & Corflu worth with scarcely any information on Prax & Genert's Wastes ? Today, of course, we have TotRM's Praxian Special Part Un & Deux (Thank you so much, RMM, all of you... ) & Drastic: Prax which finally gave us a description, if only a short one, of all those juicy places of note for Wahasake !!! (Or was it in Tales, that they were described ? Nevermind, it doesn't really matter, thanks guys.) Let's also not forget Codex & RQ Adventures issue No. 3 on The Block (Thank you, Mike Dawson & John Castellucci, you are not forgotten !) I don't remember anything right now, but I am sure there were some useful items related to both banks of the River of Cradles in Tradetalk and/or YBoT. At least there *will* be in YBoT 3, so thank you germans et alii !

All of the above makes Prax & Co. the best elaborated part of Glorantha. It means that many campaigns that are played *today* take place here. Of course, there are also many holes that need to be filled & many things are still needed to make it fully *playable*, but at least there is solid basis to buid on. I also always thought that the HeroWars began right there in 1621 with the "Cradle Incident" & all those Argrath running around: Argrath of Pavis (sic), Argrath White-Bull, Garrath Swordsharp, Argrath Dragonspear, doesn't even Argrath Maniskisson have a link with Prax & the Wastes or is he *the only* Argrath who hasn't ?!?

But do you think that with all of this, there is any project to publish Praxpak ?!? You bet there isn't, of course !!! My, it could only increase the playabilty of Glorantha & give some much needed fuel to some old & perhaps moribund campaigns... As for me, I have the intimate conviction that a player's book called, I don't know, let's say "BEASTLY (!) RIDERS Praxian nomads book" could be one of the better sellers of the whole line, what with all those *players*, not only GMs, who have spent some time or who are even now spending time in the old playground where the Way of Waha rules... And with all that exists already, it would be comparatively easy to write such a book or books, wouldn't it ?!? Because, let's face it, it is impossible to write, say, "RINLIDDI RULES !" or "KINGDOM OF WAR" & barely possible to write "SARTAR RISING !" OR "KETHAELA FREED !" without any access to Greg. Whereas Praxpak... the mind boggles !!! (Thank you Uleria & Ratslaff ! ;o)

So what should we do, now ? Simple: here is the plan: :o) ;o) :o)

Send the following email to Greg Stafford & spread the message far & wide. Ask all of your players for instance, even those who aren't online, to send this: