Re: Orlanthi Breaths

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:57:18 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes seems keen to give us Orlanthi Soul Parts Lite:
> As I've noted previously when discussing this topic, soul is not the same as
> spirit (a troublesome concept in itself)

And as I've noted before, the implied distinction rarely holds up in any sort of systematic way. Do the Orlanthi have _distinct_ concepts of a spirit, vs. one of a soul? Such things as a rule lob up really only in cross-cultural comparisons, I suspect.

> and each Orlanthi 'breath' is a
> contribution to wholeness, integration and unity of purpose. Like the
> ancient Hebrews, the Orlanthi value unity and wholeness, and their concept
> of 'breath' is not a simplistic body/spirit split.

Which makes the idea of 'breaths' (as opposed to just breath), and such an explicit comparison of such terminology to notions of soul or spirit ring rather oddly in my ears. Doubtless John has something more poetic and magical in mind, than literal and eschatological, but at this point I'm personally getting more Alarm Bells than Mythic Resonances.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #655