Re: Chalana Arroy heroquests

From: Douglas Bailey <trystero_at_ne.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:54:19 -0400

Andrew Larsen writes:

> 1) What sort of conflict or test can you offer a CA in this situation
>which don't simply involve healing something?
> 2) CAs have no combat abilities, except perhaps the odd Parry or such.
>How do you put them into situations that involve some real danger and
>tension without completely overwhelming and slaughtering them?

One answer to both is to have the CA bring along some warriors to defend her... but make it a goal of her quest to prevent those warriors from killing any attackers. Trying to persuade a war-band of bloodthirsty Orlanthi to only fight defensively, with minimal bloodshed, would make a pretty good test of a CA's commitment to pacifism.

There's also the ever-popular "calm the berserk Uroxi" game. :)

Also, just because a CA is attacked doesn't mean she has to *fight*. She can use Sleep magic, or she can try to talk her way out (by opposing the attacker's Combat ability with, say, Sway Emotions). These are mythically appropriate actions... and they're much more dangerous than fighting.

Finally, I expect that a lot of CA heroquests -- like those of other cults - --are *moral* tests rather than combat tests. Confront the CA quester with her most hated enemy: her guards wound him, he asks her for healing. She knows that if she heals him, he'll just attack again (her or another party). Should she do it? What would Chalana Arroy do?

Just some random thoughts,

doug