Re: politics & ritual

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:38:33 -0700

Alex Ferguson answered me

> > Kerenath became chief of the
> > Varmandi essentially because of disagreements over how to run the
> > clan and deal with the Lunars. He had no mythic outcome in mind.
>
>i.e., a 'secular effect', to use precisely John's phrase. If your
>game implied to you that this can be done without regard to ritual
>_method_, then I believe your game is, if not outright wrong, then
>misleading lacking in emphasis in that area.

It certainly took ritual to become chief. In fact, ritual provided the means to do so, short-circuiting the normal political process (this short-circuit was why Kerenath couldn't remain chief, BTW). My point though was that Kerenath wasn't playing politics so that he could conduct a specific ritual.

And my overall point was that Glorantha is full of people grabbing power because they want to, just like the real world.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #656