Re: Puzzled by Ooooh lots of things....

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 17:38:36 +0100 (BST)

Michael Cule on Arkat:
> So, despite being enough of a sorcerer to teach it to the trolls he was
> actually using Theist viewpoints to explore the other side.

No, I don't think he was. The early Western church would have still been basically 'sorcerous'/materialistic, IMO, just with 'pagan' elements, not unlike the latter-day henotheists and such like.

> More I think about it the more the rigid division of the Other Side into
> Sorcery, God and Spirit Planes seems silly or just a human construct.

To be precise, a God Learner Construct(TM). I've had raging arguments with this off-list (a No-Prize to anyone correctly guessing with whom...), but I'm firmly of the view that it's in the rules because it's a (somewhat) useful description, not because it's The Whole Objective Truth. Greg has pretty much said so, in fact. (My off-list argument more or less got bogged down in 'my Greg-quote is better than your Greg-quote' isms, sadly, so perhaps I shouldn't argue from that basis.)

Cheers,
Alex.