Re: KoDP Map; the Other Side

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:55:12 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham is in equipoise on printing the KoDP map:
> I think I could get decent rates if you could live with an 8.5*11
> inch reproduction.

Hurm. Since that's smaller than A4 (otherwise known as That Weird Foreign Page Size), if that's the best offer we're gonna get, I'd rather have it available electrinically. (Pretty please.)

> I agree. I think the God Learners were right, and that Urox and Storm
> Bull are in fact the same entity. (We know Kyger Litor can be
> worshipped several ways, why not Storm Bull?)

The fallacy here is of course that the Other side is a discrete universe, and therefore the question of whether two 'entities' are 'the same' or not is a simple binary one.

OK, it's over-stated to say they're _not_, since the theistic religions (more or less) regard them in that manner. But even from that PoV it's clear that there's some Mighty Funny Stuff going on.

> It's true there are rules for Misapplied Worship, and I don't think
> these are necessarily invalid per se, but I think it would be
> possible to transcend this.

Me, I think they're necessarily invalid per se. ;-) Or rather, while it is clearly possible to 'sub-optimally apply' worship in many cases, it's certainly not simply true that a given entity is 'native' to one of the four worlds, and equally 'alien' to all the others. Some explicitly transcend such boundaries; for others, the four-fold division doesn't really make that much sense in the first place.

> Note how sacrifice to a great spirit is
> almost considered OK. Great spirits verge into being gods in my
> opinion -- and they are often presented as such by outsiders (e.g.
> all the spirits of the Grazers).

I think it would be correct to say they can _in many cases_ 'overlap'; it's certainly not just a matter of 'scale'. (Since one can get very, very big spirits, who may not be worshippable theistically at all readily, and contrariwise, small deities who are entirely theistic, but relatively titchy.)

Cheers,
Alex.