Re: Praxpack

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 02:34:40 +0100 (BST)

Trotsky:
> It would seem to me a tad pointless to reprint a classic gaming world,
> and then to ignore the bit everyone knows and loves the best. If you're going
> to ignore the OOP stuff you did for a different game system yonks ago (rather
> than just making it of lower priority, which is fair enough IMO)

OK, roughly speaking 'when Issaries hits significant, sustainable profit' sound fair to you? :-/

> then you
> could argue 'lets not do the Glorantha Book, since lots of it will have been
> in the old Genertela set' with as much validity. Clearly, nobody would think
> that sensible. In short, if you're going to reprint a classic gaming world at
> all, you'd better reprint the popular bits of it at *some* point. Otherwise
> you may as well make up a new world...

You mean, like the four pieces, three of which are set in Prax, being or already reprinted by Rick's outfit, (to whom I say, Yeah, go dude!)? I'd call _these_ the best-loved part of the Good Olde Days, myself.

> If Issaries' attitude is 'we can't be arsed to publish this stuff,
> because fans will do it anyway if the customer base wants it' one almost
> wonders why they're bothering at all.

No, no -- that would be _my_ attitude. ;-) Personally, I want to see Issaries get the most 'bang' for it's highly limited 'buck', both in terms of things that will make a return, and in what will actually enhance the total sum of all human Gloranthan knowledge. I don't see that a Prax Festering To Itself campaign book would be a good way of achieving that. OTOH, there's enough stuff kicking around that fannish effort _could_ get it better-collated, and back in print, whichout making an Big Hero Wars production (with all that seems to entail...) of it.

> I rather suspect this is the real reason. But, heck, if they're not part
> of the über-arc, its because certain-people-who-shall-remain-nameless didn't
> *write* them into it.

True, but I don't think they'd have much of a role to play, myself. To wit, I think logic and dramatic coherence is pretty much with them having no bigger part to play than similarly-sized, similarly-obscure parts of the lozenge.

> << [uz] certainly they interact more meaningfully with other cultures. >>
>
> You mean they don't eat them? :-)

OK, you've rumbled my polite euphemism. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.