The keys to the success of Hero Wars

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 06:04:59 -0400

There's been a flurry of activity on what it will take for Hero Wars to be a success and, most importantly, survive...

To me, the answers have always been there, and could have been as equally applied to any previous Runequest version as well. Here is what Hero Wars needs (many ideas stolen from friends):

  1. Freelance writers writing HW supplements. Realistically, Greg would only be an author of a minority of the material and spend most of his effort as a content editor. The people writing the books we are all anxiously awaiting (SGU, Anaxial's Roster, etc.) all are freelancers who have stepped forward. If you don't feel that you're much of a writer, work with a team of people.
  2. A steady stream of high quality supplements that are well written, have good art, and are enjoyable to read and play. Being realistic, I would think 6 publications a year is the bare minimum and one a month is ideal (although very hard to do). The SOLE employee of Issaries Inc. isn't going to write even a fraction of that number.
  3. Gloranthan fans need to run demos at conventions, gameshops, etc. We need to get new players into the game.
  4. Support the game on the web with free extras, but not core material. Everyone loves getting free stuff from the web, but it won't keep Hero Wars viable as a commercial entity. If books aren't sold in shops/gamestores, Issaries Inc. will go bankrupt.

That's all it takes. Get writing. Get people to have fun playing Hero Wars. Volunteering is easy, contributing takes effort.

Shameless Plug: At Convulsion we will be hosting a number of seminars on "how to get published" and "writing for Hero Wars". Greg Stafford, Eric Rowe and Roderick Robertson will be some of the speakers.

Convulsion 2000, July 21-24, Leicester, UK www.glorantha.co.uk See you there,
Rick