Re: Playin' Games

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:30:29 +0100 (BST)

Nick Brooke:
> Apparently Hero Wars is selling *much* faster than they'd expect a "new" RPG
> to -- "surprisingly fast" -- although lots of early customers seem to (a)
> know the game's out already (from Internet/word of mouth) and come to the
> shop just to buy their copy, and/or (b) say something along the lines of
> "I've been waiting since 1980 for this to come out." So there's no hard
> evidence yet about how well "new blood" is taking to the game. But the
> takeup among the "velocity, not discretion" crowd is certainly impressive.

That was roughly my impression: as regards new blood, I guess time will tell. (i.e. what happens in a month or so once all the (a)'s and (b)'s have bought their copies. Though if those are enough to sell out a print run, then I imagine (the first part of) the job is done.

> The "hardened, glint-eyed merchant" I spoke to (*not* a fair description, as
> she gives me free sweeties)

Didn't your mother warn you about people like that, young man? ;-)

> says the thing most needed for Hero Wars to
> *really* take off would be an imminent and continuing stream of supporting
> publications, so that new players will have a stream of things to play (and
> spend their money on): fast and visible support from Issaries, Inc. in order
> to catch and hold new fans.

Indeed yes. I'm a bit worried about the (lack of) noises about Thunder Rebels; other than that, things are looking quite good on that front, by and large, at least for the first 'tranch'. After the first five or six, I suppose we're back into the realms of 'has anyone written them?' and 'does Issaries have the money to print them?' To which I can only express the sentiments, 'let's hope someone does', and 'let's hope the first batch sell by the skipload so they do'.

Cheers,
Alex.