Re: No One Can Make you do anything Myth?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:09:51 +0100 (BST)

Malcolm Serabian wants a solution to being forced to Make Nice with the Lunars:
> 2. Do a quest based on "No one can make you do anything". I like this one,
> but I can't seem to find a myth that is related to this attitude of
> Orlanth's. Is there one I'm not thinking of? Anyone out there ever make one
> up? Please post one if you've got one!

I think it's orginally an attitude of Umath's, so his myths would be the primary source, generally speaking.

I'd say if a king is trying to compell you to follow his orders, then the classic tactic is to cast him as the bad guy in any number of Orlanth/Yelm, or indeed Umath/Sky myths. If you're told to leave your home, or a legal decision is made against you, or other such mythic cues, this immediately 'helps' make the identification. Naturally, kings have been burned by this before, and will try their best to exert their authority more indirectly, without setting off those Evil Emperor warning bells...

Cheers,
Alex.