The sorcerers Matrix

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:33:00 -0400

At 11:45 AM -0700 30/5/00, The Glorantha Digest wrote:
>Logicians' heroquests:
>
>Whenever I read about "nodes" and "energies", I can't
>help but visualize the planes as something similar to Tron
>or later depicitions of a computer matrix.

        <shudder> does this really have any part in simulating an allegedly medieval at best cultures religious imagery?

        I really just can't warm to it no matter how hard I try.

>Now there are oodles of playable cyber-universe games on
>the market which may be stolen from. Most of these use some
>sort of visualisation for things which cannot be grasped by normal
>senses.

	I never liked most of them either.
	Though the Shadowrun 'sculpted interface' ideas do make the
potential for an absurd counterpoint - imagine Shadowrun characters using medieval religious imagery to represent the underlying computer matrix, while your HW characters use computer metaphors to represent the underlying medieval religious imagery.

>The most challenging problem in this approach is to combine
>cybercosm and a quasi-mediaeval monotheistic culture.

        Exactly. I'm not convinced at all by this node stuff. To get quasi-medieval religious imagery, lets rip off medieval religious imagery, or at least renaisance etc religious imagery and as much medieval as we can find, rather than rip off dubious modern fantasies about computer interfaces.

	Regards
		David