rape

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:31:10 -0400

><< In Glorantha, rape is usually shunned because it is associated with Thed,
>and thus a chaotic act. Does this hold true for rapes during warfare, or the
>rape of slaves? If not, how do Gloranthans rationalise the difference?>>
>
> I'd say that a rape during warfare or in the context of slavery is just
>as much a chaotic act as rape at any other time.

        Think of a rape as being like any other very nasty act of extreme violence. In Glorantha, this means that for some cultures, sometimes, its OK. Most of the time, its wrong, and morally wrong and chaotic are if not the same, pretty close.

        I'm sure its always chaotic to the Ernaldans, not quite as sure about the Orlanthi (but certainly most of the time).

        While I am appreciated its a sensitive subject, I would not be particularly happy if too much 20th century morality finds its way into our various bronze age to medieval gloranthan cultures. So I do not want it to be uniformly declared uniformly chaotic for this reason. In most modern cultures, simulated violence is fine but simulated sexual violence is taboo, but this distinction does not reflect the reality of ancient cultures.

><< And is this subject something that you address during a game? >>
>
> Depends on your game, really.

        Absolutely. Its a subject that I have written into some games, others may feel differently. As with any sensitive issue, its up to your group.

	Regards
		David