slaves, rape

From: guy hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:44:04 -0500

|Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 00:04:59 +0100
|From: "Newt Newport" <newtus_at_madasafish.com>
|Subject: Re: War, Slavery, Rape and Thed
|
|Thats as far as I would take it since its a subject too close
|to home for
|some people I know, and
|besides I've always taken Glorantha to be a Heroic rather than
|Dark Fantasy
|setting.

The problem is, it's a part of "heroic" literature, too. The "wrath of Achilles" is brought about because Menelaus has deprived him of his rightful spoils of war, the girl Chryseis, who was taken as a slave from Try. Most likely, Achilles was not employing Chryseis solely for her sewing skills. King Priam's sister Hesione was taken as a slave, as well. Numerous Scandinavian sagas make reference to this practice, and it is even alluded to in some Gloranthan sources (in Pent, for example, a slave woman who becomes pregnant becomes a member of the tribe, IIRC.)

That being said, I think it is completely within the bounds of heroic literature to include this practice in a game; however, is there a way to do it without being obviously offensive or insensitive?

Guy Hoyle