Re: Hypocrisy

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_marconi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:12:54 -0400

> Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:33:40 +0100
> From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_viewgate.com>
> Subject: Hypocrisy
>
> Rife in our world, what about in Glorantha?
>
> Do people become devotees of a God for purely personal reasons rather than
> because they want to become more like the God?
>
> How widespread is this?

Not very. I'd imagine that if you were on your initiation HQ and didn't believe then you'd fail. Period. Exceptions for the Illuminated (they can fool the gods), Arkati (special rules while on HQs), and other oddballs. But if Joe Unbeliever tried to fake out Orlanth, Orlanth would ensure that Joe was toast. "Lightning Boy, go zap that SOB. Repeatedly." Any any case, even if Orlanth didn't send a SoR (called "God of Retribution" these days?), Joe wouldn't get any affinities, much less feats.

> Cults have always been described for the purist (ISTM). How much do people
> just pay lip service to the ideas but get up to all sorts of naughty things
> behind the high-priest's back (who is, in any case, getting up to all sorts
> of naughty things behind his subordinates backs).
>
> On a scale of 0 to 10, maybe? 0 being the equivalent of 'we turn up to
> church on holy days but, basically, we do what we like' and 10 being 'we try
> our hardest to be like our god/saint/whatever'?

I don't play in the West, so I don't know about saints. I'd say that a non-devoute person doesn't get in the cult. If a cultist becomes non-devout, feats and affinities will go away. The magical hotline to Orlanth is weakening, so Joe has no more access to Magic. The person with a less than 4 of 10 rating would be stuck with "Worship Storm Pantheon" 'cause he ain't getting nothing more. Devotees should have a 8+ rating, circumstances allowing.