Re: Hypocrisy

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 03:53:17 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Larsen:
> What does this mean for Glorantha? It means that for Orlanthi and other
> polytheistic cultures, belief is largely irrelevant. I can join a cult for
> whatever motives I choose, and if I perform the form of the heroquest
> correctly, Orlanth has to accept my efforts.

I don't think this is entirely true, though on one level I'm glad to see someone making this counterpoint to the more commonplace, 'no one could ever have an ounce of religious doubt or cynicism' type arguments that one sees deployed. You are, however, using rather too broad an umbrella, I think, when you speak of 'polytheisism'. The poloytheism of the Dara Happans, for example, which is based almost entirely on sacrifice, and the correct rituals for same, would be much closer to the Romano-Greek model you cite. (Possibly the Vedic religion is the best comparison of all.) For the Orlanthi, though, religion isn't purely sacrificial, it has a large devotional aspect to it too. (What Greg was wandering around describing as the 'one third shamanic' portion of Orlanthi religion, to widespread confusion, over the last year or so.)

> He can fault me for not
> properly living up to his virtues or for making the wrong sacrifice or
> incorrectly playing his role during a quest, but he really doesn't care if
> "have a personal relationship with him" or if I joined the cult because it
> was a path to social advancement. The question is largely irrelevant,
> unless it means that I can't properly manifest his virtues.

Normally I hate it when people cite HW (or RQ!) answers to Gloranthan questions, but in this case, I must beg the court's indulgence. ;-) Having a personal relationship with Orlanth very much _is_ part of the Orlanthi religion, especially for those on the devotional (aka 'Rune Lord') path. Thus one will see a 'Relationship to Orlanth' number on many a character sheet, reflecting the importance of... well, y'know. ;-)

But I think you can go quite some way as an initiate, or even as a priest, just by going through the right motions. To be a 'true devotee', you do as Andrew says, also have to be appropriately 'virtuous', which isn't necessarily in itself a matter of actual theology or religious experience. But at some level, that relationship does come into play.

Cheers,
Alex.