Re:Hypocricy

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:51:49 -0400 (EDT)

Roger Nolan :

> I think that this is one case where Earth religion is not a good model for
> understanding Gloranthan religion. I don't see that the sort of Faith
> (capital intended) that is central to all Earth religions is ever something
> that a Gronthan theistic culture needs. I don't need faith to believe in
> Orlanth because I can go and see him every so often. Similarly, as Douglas
> pointed out, it'd be might scary to visit the GodPlane with your fingers
> crossed behind your back.

But people in the ancient world were equaly convinced of the existence of the divine being they worshiped. After all storm, the sun, rainfall, etc are real phenomena that had a direct effect on their lives. They believed, as many people still do, that they had real personal experiences that proved the validity of their religion. They also commonly believed in the existence of the gods of other cultures. The Romans were notable in this regard.

Having said that, knowing that Orlanth exists and is real is a long, long way away from being devoted to, or worshiping him. The lunars also believe Orlanth exists, for example. What they do not believe is that he is worthy of worship, or has any moral authority. This is where faith comes in.

Andrew Larsen :

>> Using the God's power without giving them sincere worship is exactly the
>> sort of this which got the God Learners into trouble - for this reason
>> alone, I would imagine most people would avoid it.
>
> Yes, but I think it's still possible. It must be extremely rare,
>because in a world where gods are as deeply immenent as Glorantha, anyone in
>a cult is likely to have some degree of 'belief' in a god.

Certainly belief in the existence, potency and importance of the god. I think devotional worship requires an additional emotional commitment and belief in the god's moral authority and 'rightness'. As an Orlanthi I might believe in the existence of Humakt and believe that he is a terrible and dangerous god, to be placated. As an Initiate I might additionaly believe that Humakt is an ideal for warriors, who are necessery for the survival of the clan and be a loyal follower of Humakt's way. A devotee must have a much greater commitment to Humakt as a personal ideal, and faith that the terrible things that HYumakti do realy kmust be done for the greater good whatecver the apparent consequences. It's a mater of trust.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #690