Re: Ragnaglar; Humakti; avatars

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:36:53 -0700

James Turner

> What happened to Ragnaglar?
> Why is he the only member of the unholy trio not worshipped? (no cult
> writeups)

Being dead (killed by his brother) has something to do with it, I'm sure.

> Most Humakti seem to be played with the samurai/lone gunfighter/Kung Fu type
> stereotype. Characters that are skilled fighters but also have a high sense
> of honour.

Greg has discussed this with me, and sees to Humakti stereotypes. One is the "paladin" you describe. The other is more of a Hell's Angel biker gang stereotype -- they just want to kill things.

> Are there any Humakti myths showing his honour?

He severed his kinship with Orlanth over a matter of honor. "Humakt found Orlanth's actions [taking Death and using it against Yelm] to be testable, and found it tragic that kinship could cover the shame of theft and deceit between the brothers. Humakt saw this as a weakness among the air gods and claimed that it forebode poorly for all if continued." [Wyrms Footprints p.70]

Simon Hibbs

> It gets interesting when you consider beings like
> Teelo Estara, who before realising that she was in
> fact (and always had been) a divine being thought
> she was just an ordinary street waif. If she was
> in fact always divine, would it have been possible
> for a neutral observer to determine this before
> hand?

I interpret this myth to be: she *was* a street waif named Teelo Nori. She died during the ritual, so that the Goddess had a vessel to return in.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein