Hero Wars questions

From: Robert William Vesterman <bob_at_vesterman.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:42:52 -0400

I've just begun reading the players' book for Hero Wars. My first impression, frankly, is one of ridiculous vagueness and disorganization.

I understand that abilities and such are purposely vague, but it seems like the rules themselves are vague, too. And it's incredibly disorganized - seems like all over, there are terms which are used, then defined ten pages later (if they're defined at all).

Anyway, I have some specific questions:

What happened to Urox? Elmal? Eurmal?

Why are seven major aspects of Ernalda listed, but only three are described? Not that I have any great desire to play a Uraldan, but come on, I have an equal level of desire to play a Uraldan as I do an "Ernalda the Mother" worshipper. A couple aspects of Orlanth are missing, too (Farmer and Lawspeaker).

Wealth/Pricing/Buying Stuff - What? Why on earth was this done? I would have to see this in action, I guess, but it seems to be a purposeless complification of the standard, easily understandable, and not-difficult-to-keep-track-of "I have x pennies, this thing costs y pennies" system. What advantage does this system have, besides being in line with the omnipresent theme of vagueness? I just don't get this whole section.

For example, say I have a "wealth" of 10. So I can hire a mercenary for a day with my pocket change, since he has a price of 5, which is half my wealth. Can I buy something else with price 5 too? Something else again? Again? Again? When exactly does my pocket change start running out? And what happens the next day? Can I hire him again with my "new" pocketchange? The next day? The next? All the days of the week?

If so, then why can't I directly hire him for a week (that costs 5w, which is far beyond my wealth of 10)?

And if I can't hire him for a week with my ever-renewing pocket change, more questions pop up: How does it work, then? At what point does my pocket change stop renewing? Can I also not buy, for example, daily lodging, after a while (and what is "a while")?

Why are some affinities/secrets/whatever under the various gods' descriptions listed in boldface, and others not?

Questions about the sample character, Kallai, page 28:

"Great deity: Orlanth 13": What? Where did that come from? Where in the
rules does it say who gets a "great deity", what "great deity" they get, what it means to have a "great deity", and what it means to have a "great deity" of 13?

"Initiate of: Humakt": Huh? But he's a warrior, not a god-talker.
God-talkers are the only ones who have the "initiate to (god)" skill. Or does that mean that they're able to initiate other people?

"Devotee of: Humakt 17": How did he become a devotee? Does every character
get to be a devotee of somebody, as opposed to a just plain initiate? And what does the "17" mean? When answering that last question, please keep in mind that the character has a specific "mythology of Humakt" ability, as well as specific Humakt affinities. So if this "devotee of Humakt 17" is neither knowing about Humakt nor being able to channel Humakt, what is it?

"Eastern Customs 13, Eastern Languages 13, Foreign Customs 13, Foreign
Languages 13": You mean to tell me that "foreign languages" is a single skill? As opposed to, say, "French" or "Korean"? This strikes me as extremely munchkinistic. Why not, say, "Kallai can kill things", leading to a "kill" skill of 13, obviating the need for "sword" or "spear" or whatever; he just can kill, regardless of whether he has a particular implement handy or not?

Cheesy nitpick: Sure looks like that mermaid is trying to *swing* that sword underwater....

Finally, I'll say something positive: I really like the Mostali and Aldryami pictures, in that they look nothing like stereotypical fantasy dwarves and elves. Gives them a really cool distinctive feel.

Bob Vesterman.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #696