Re: Orthopraxy, a small detail

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_uk.airsysatm.thomson-csf.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:26:25 +0100

From: "Thomas McVey" <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>

> This is in the same way as a politician might believe that the "other side" might triumph
> in the next election or in the long-term. Or in the same way as some Soviet apparatchiks
> (or even some western politicians) doubted the long-term viability of their own side
> during the Cold War. Or a political activist who believed sincerely in an idea in their
> youth, but now is not so sure the other side isn't right. Similarly, you could have a
> Gloranthan who secretly doubts that their god is more right than another god. Or was
> enthusiastic about killing chaos in their youth, but now is more circumpsect (like Oddi
> the Keen).

While I don't dispute that it could be the case and sometimes interesting as a character, as far as I know, Oddi has been illuminated which is a near-magical effect allowing to use his personal system of values while still presenting whatever external front he chooses.

So I don't think he's a good example for your theme unless it is to prove that, unless you become illuminated, you cannot be an "hypocrite".

Philippe