runes and languages

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_marconi.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:10:00 -0400

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie> replied to my post

> > Question of my own: how does Valind fit into this? Is he a Great God?
> > Would he be something like
> >
> > [Theism] [Storm] [Valind] [Valind]
>
> I'd say he's 'normally' a GG 'Orlanth' divinity, just a slightly
> off-beat one. Depends partly on the cultural context of the worship.

I wondered because Valind is not part of the Storm Tribe. IIRC he runs his own tribe (Cold Tribe?).

> I wasn't at all sad to see this 5 runes stuff (largely) dropped
> from the rulebook. Most of the information in the first three
> runes is either blitheringly obvious, or serves no real purpose
> besides a mania for categorisation. But if people find it
> helpful, I'll be glad to be proved wrong.

I am OK on the first two being dropped, but I like the Great God field. I can see where it would be useful, as in your Ernalda Yinkin example. I wouldn't care if all 5 stayed in, but on occasion I can be a bit anal about classification (ie- [Theism] [Storm] [Orlanth] [Buserian] :-)

> > Why shoudn't I let them start as devotees? I wouldn't
> > for a bunch of initiated newbies
>
> Why not, though? It'd be unusual, perhaps, but not impossible. Devotion
> is a matter of depth of commitment, not of skill or experience.

I ment to write "UNinitiated", as in 12/10/8/6. They shouldn't be devotees as they are just now going through clan initiation. That typo kinda ruined my whole point. I too think that just about anyone should be able to be a devotee.

> > French and Korean is a bad example, but
> > French/Spanish/Italian with improv penalities works for me.

> You'd be hard pressed to argue that HW 'simulates' the difficulty
> of 'Speak Generic Romance Language'.
>
> As other people have observed,
> it _does_ make sense to allow 'unrealistically' broad abilities
> at a single rating, where those things aren't individually very
> vital, narratively speaking.

I play down languages. All PCs can communicate with each other. Other than that, it is kinda boolean, you speak it or you don't. If I want a NPC to talk to the PCs, the NPC knows tradetalk. While I may be guilty of simplification, I once ran a non-Glorantha game (using RoleMaster no less) where I had everyone speaking slightly different dialects and "similar skills". I still wake up with nightmares from that. Never again will I go down that path. Maybe I've overcorrected, but lets call it my MGF and leave it at that.

> I _still_ hate Digests, mind you...

Does Issaries have plans to get a real machine that can serve the GD via NNTP? I'd imagine that this is an old question, but life would be easier for me if it were done that way.