Re: runes and languages

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:04:17 +0100 (BST)

Douglas Seay, on Valind:
> I wondered because Valind is not part of the Storm Tribe. IIRC he runs
> his own tribe (Cold Tribe?).

He's Orlanth's kin, so unless he's been outlawed... If you like him, and worship him within the 'normal Heortling cultural context', then he obviously is a part of the Storm Tribe; if you hate him, it seems less likely...

[5 runes]
> I am OK on the first two being dropped, but I like the Great God field.
> I can see where it would be useful, as in your Ernalda Yinkin example.

Oh, good. I was expecting flurries of replies telling me my interpretation was up its own bottom. ;-) But such cases seem a little fuzzy (as well as furry) to me, so I have mixed feelings about trying to nail it down with any great zeal.

> I wouldn't care if all 5 stayed in, but on occasion I can be a bit anal
> about classification (ie- [Theism] [Storm] [Orlanth] [Buserian] :-)

I have similar tendancies myself, which is naturally why I persecute them so vigorously in others, human nature being what it is. ;-) (The persecutees will now form an orderly queue to agree, I imagine...)

> > > Why shoudn't I let them start as devotees? I wouldn't
> > > for a bunch of initiated newbies
> >
> > Why not, though? It'd be unusual, perhaps, but not impossible. Devotion
> > is a matter of depth of commitment, not of skill or experience.
>
> I ment to write "UNinitiated", as in 12/10/8/6.

Ah! Indeed, you can't be a devetee if you;'re not initiated. (Not unless you're Spontaneously Heroformed Avataresque Wonder Child, anyway.) Though to quibble, 12/10/8/6 is more of a narrative than an adulthood state. (The 'we're lowly cottars, tending our sheep, and it's raining' campaign, or whatever.)

> I play down languages. All PCs can communicate with each other. Other
> than that, it is kinda boolean, you speak it or you don't. If I want a
> NPC to talk to the PCs, the NPC knows tradetalk.

Oh, I agree. It's only an issue of people are trying to overhear a conversation they're not meant to, impress the living daylights out of an NPC by how well they speak _their_ language, etc, etc.

> Does Issaries have plans to get a real machine that can serve the GD via
> NNTP? I'd imagine that this is an old question, but life would be
> easier for me if it were done that way.

To give you the benefit of a purely third-party guess, I imagine such thoughts would be contigent on their more immediate plans to make some money, if at all possible...

Cheers,
Alex.