broad skills in Hero Wars: languages.

From: Eric Hansen <eric_at_chem.queensu.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:17:48 -0400

> > You mean to tell me that "foreign languages" is a single skill?

> languages do group together. French and Korean is a bad example, but
> French/Spanish/Italian with improv penalities works for me.

a generic foreign languages skill probably represents the ability to quickly pick up on local idioms and expressions, thus allowing you to communicate effectively after only a short exposure to a new language. It doesn't have to represent fluency with all foreign tongues, or even any, for that matter.

Also, an ability like this is consistent with Hero Wars' move away from fine granularity of detail to coarse. Or as some of you have said, the theme of Hero Wars is vagueness. Some players like the looseness and freedom of the new game; others prefer a blow-by-blow tactical system, and like to keep track of all their pennies. HW isn't for the latter, while RQ isn't for the former. I believe, though, that all this has been said before, so I'll fade quietly into the background again. To each his own.

Eric Hansen

P.S. Overall, I was disappointed with the presentation and layout of Hero Wars. I already knew what to expect regarding its content, but in my opinion something went wrong during the development and production phases. And I still can't believe the deluxe set shipped without the Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars book. With all due respect to the authors of the Gloranthan Visions stories, that volume was an inadequate substitute.