Re: Illumination/Mysticism Q

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:30:11 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Erwin:
> I may be repeating someone (I just rejoined the party) but if Illumination is
> (as I may misunderstand) a replacement of another worldview with Mysticism

My understanding (and your disclaimer applies equally well to me) is that it replaces your world-view, rather than your method of magic and worship. Or really, it destroys it, if it happens in the 'wrong' way. It's basically a sort of 'everything you know is wrong' type of effect, though not just on an intellectual level. The infamous example is Oddi the Keen, ferocious Storm Bloke and relentless hater of chaos, suddenly realising that he _didn't_. (A mild example, as he was remarkably functional thereafter.) Someone who comes to Illumination in the right context, with the appropriate teachers and sympathetic brethren, is much less likely to go absolutely around the twist.

You can, however, still worship Yelm (or the Storm Bull), or cast sorcerous spells, or do whatever whacky animist stuff you were doing before. You may possibly no longer _want_ to, given the new insights you have, but that's a different matter. (You may indeed not be capable of it practical terms, being preoccuppied with gibbering and drooling, but that is, too...)

> (and one has only one belief system) and Mystics don't give misapplied
> worship, how does one continue to get the benefits of the earlier world view
> (as in RQ)? Does your magic become Mystic Strikes? Are they talents? Can you
> keep getting them?

Your magic is unaffected, except that you may be able to 'exploit' it differently, if you're that way inclined. It's been suggested thta it may make it possible to activity practice all three of the magical systems the lunars recognise, but Greg may have been Gregged on this, I'm not clear. This is definitely in contrast to many other forms of mysticism, where you'd need to immediately stop learning (and start forgetting, indeed) your magic, though in those systems, you wouldn't come to an equivalent realisation in the first place, _because_ you were still trapped in those other modes of magical being.

> I have an RQ character who acquired a Sun Dragon Rune spell through a
> heroquest (minor) by accident. I assume this would be a extraneous mystic
> strike that the character acquired as through challenge.

I do like the word 'extraneous', as it's applied here.

Cheers,
Alex.