cats

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:45:52 +0300

:Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:04:40 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
:From: Dr Mark Galeotti <m.galeotti_at_his.keele.ac.uk>
:Subject: Why cats?

:Comrades!

:A little question.

:As more of a dog-person myself, I've been wondering what it
:is about Orlanthi and cats. When was the last time you
:came across a cat who appreciated wind, storm and rain? Is
:it just mythic coincidence that Yinkin links into the
:Orlanthi pantheon? Biological coincidence that large cats
:are a primary predator in Sartar and thus useful
:allies/vessels? Or primal coincidence - do I remember
:hearing that Greg is more keen on cats and dogs?

:Just a thought!

  ---

A dog is a servant or slave by nature. Cats are fierce, proud and independent. The shadow cat is also more like a European lynx than a felis sylvestris catus (house cat) and the Lynx is something very easy to link with storms and the great outdoors.

Orlanthi appreciate the proud and independent nature of cats. And so do I... :)

I think the whole "familiars are just vessels for cult spirits" thing is rulesy and crude. The Shadow Cats are majestetic creatures on their own right. Magical and impressive. There's no need to try to stuff a possession spirit down it's ears.

        -Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"