Trollslayers, Depictions of Chaos in WFRP and Glorantha

From: Clay Luther <claycle_at_cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:12:33 -0500

> From: "Timothy Byrd" <tim_at_mwoffice.com>

> Do Gloranthan Dwarves ever become Trollslayers, ala Warhammer?
>
> (Weirdly enough, before the AH publications, I thought of Glorantha as
> a pretty clean place - Gloranthan chaos cleaner than Warhammer chaos,
> etc.)

I wouldn't think so, at least not exactly following the Warhammer Trollslayer/Giantslayer paradigm. Possibly, a Gloranthan Mostali could malfunction to such an extent that you could play it like a Warhammer Trollslayer, but I just don't see Trollslayers -- basically a self-choosen, suicidal caste in Warhammer -- appearing in any great numbers in Glorantha.

As for Warhammer v Gloranthan Chaos. Well, I've always held the opinion that WFRP mainly derived itself from two sources: AD&D and Runequest/Glorantha. Glorantha predates WFRP by several years and there are some uncanny parallels between the two world systems (WFRP cults, for example, are gruelly versions of Gloranthan cults). Modern Warhammer material, however, has diverged very far from its (presumably) Glorantha roots.

But is WFRP Chaos ickier? Hmmm...maybe -- certainly, WFRP is informed by Call of Cthulhu as well, lending a starker, more horror-sharpened edge to that world. But, I'd hazard that Glorantha owes some underpinings to CoC/Lovecraft as well simply based on its relationship to certain important contributors. And I've experienced some pretty horror-inducing bits of Glorantha myself once or twice.

But, overall, I think WFRP *strives* for a ickier/grimier feeling than Glorantha. But I also think that Glorantha's chaos/horror elements are much more cerebral -- and perhaps more frightening -- than WFRP's.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #707