Dog Apologists

From: Matthew Thale <mattt_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:26:40 -0700

To all of you misguided dog apologists out there...

Mark Gaeotti says that Orlanthi are pack animals. I discussed the post with a local Windlord, Palin Windson, and this is what he had to say...

So, you think that Orlanthi are pack animals? By Orlanth's Breath! Are you saying that we're like those damned chaos spawn, the Telmori? They're pack animals, and there is no denying that. They run with their pack, blindly following the leader, even when this leader is leading them to chaos.

Orlanth recognized the injustice of Yelm's rule and had the courage to fight against it. A pack animal would have followed along on the heels of his leader, never questioning the rules of the pack. I know that when the leader is no longer fit to lead, a new leader arises from the pack. This new leader is as bound by the old ways as was the old leader. In the pack, leadership changes but the rules of the pack remain the same - blindly follow.

Orlanthi are gregarious, kin supporting and community minded. Being social creatures does not mean that we're not independent. We exist within the community, but know that independence has its place as well. Orlanth fought Yelm, Harmast fought Lokaymadon, and we fight against the Red Moon invaders.

I know that no true Orlanthi would deign to keep dogs. It would be almost as bad as herding goats...

And that ten and a half stone bull mastiff can't compare to my alynx-friend. He wears horse barding and hunts rhinos.