Re: adultery & myths

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:38:29 -0700

Andrew Larsen

>The problem with the
>adultery story is that, as KoDP emphasizes at a couple of points, adultery
>is a major crime in Orlanthi society.

This info was originally from King of Sartar...

Don't forget that myths aren't purely sequential.

Although it's hard to justify the "Orlanth and Aroka" infidelity this way (Orlanth sleeps with the Dark Woman, but his wife Ernalda set him on the quest) -- I think within a story, things do happen in order.

Perhaps the adultery prohibitions were added in a later myth. Or maybe adultery is only a problem if it's secret (like murder)?

Note that in some Orlanthi cultures (at least my version of East Ralios, and I think one of the Heortling marriage types in KoS), multiple wives are OK.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #714