Re: adultery & myths

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:43:22 -0400

> From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
> > Andrew Larsen
> > The problem with the
> > adultery story is that, as KoDP emphasizes at a couple of points,
adultery
> > is a major crime in Orlanthi society.
>
> This info was originally from King of Sartar.

And it is incest in Jewish society to marry your half-sister, except that Abraham was, with no great comment in Genesis.

The myths are from a GodTime Orlanthi society, pre-Vingkotling and certainly not Heortling. Certain practices will invariably have changed over this period, just like the Hebrew incest definitions.

> Although it's hard to justify the "Orlanth and Aroka" infidelity this
> way (Orlanth sleeps with the Dark Woman, but his wife Ernalda set him
> on the quest) -- I think within a story, things do happen in order.

But sometimes incidents are added because they SEEM likely to later people. Everybody "knows" that Orlanth "is" married to Ernalda, so She MUST be mentioned somehow, even if the incident seems from a pre-Yelmicide "period" when She would have no claims on Him.