Decadent Lunar Cooking

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:05:39 CDT

Alexandre Lanciani wonders about revolting Lunar dishes. The following excerpt is from Fresser's Gourmet Guide to Glorantha and describes a meal he attended.

Dearest Felicitus,

Oh the meal you missed while you were away recuperating! (How are the piles by the way?) It was my greatest pleasure as a gourmand to attend Moonson's most recent biennial birthday ball. Oh, the clothes, the spectacle and the music! But forget about all that in favour of the food, the food was the true delight at the ball, all else faded into the background. Well, for me it did anyway. I could go on for pages and pages about one course after another but instead I will restrain myself with an heroic effort and limit my descriptions to the dishes that were the true highlights. The theme and ingredients for the dishes for the most part relected our recent capture of Prax. The appetizers were delightful as usual of course. My favourites, as always were the Lunar Apples halves that had been drowned in Moon Berry wine. They also served breaded cross sections of walktapus tentacles (which of course you had to immediately go and vomit up or else suffer the consequences). They served a number of fine cheeses, my favourite being the delicate cheese made from herdman milk. Reminded me of mother! (Ha, ha, my little joke of course!) All sorts of delicious beasts were served roasted whole, usually with their fur or hide reattached. Each dish was carried in by one or more straining slaves and all where greeted by an admiring chorus of oohs and aahs from the assemblage as they were brought in. There was quite a chorus of titters when a tableau of a pair of herdmen engaged in a rather bestial act was brought in. They were so lifelike that one almost felt embarrased to be in their presence. The chefs actually managed to get a loud gasp out the gathered notables when their piece de la resistance arrived on a huge platter borne on the shoulder or at least two dozen straining nude slaves. It was a battle scene from distant barbaric Prax depicting some of the local fauna. There was a male baboon doing battle with a herdman while a pair of newtlings looked on. A bison and a rhino were in the background locking horns. (The horns were marzipan and were just delicious!) All had been arranged so cunningly and coloured with delicious sauces so that each individual looked to be alive! I tried them all and each was more delightful than the rest. Well all this has made me quite hungry so I will have to stop writing and and go off and find something to eat. I doubt very much that my larder has anything quite so delightful in it though!

Yours hungrily,

Fresser

Oliver D. Bernuetz
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz