some more questions and a myth

From: Xavier Spinat <galelis_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:32:59 +0200

Thanxalot for the many answers that where sent!

It sure helped to have details about Chaos/Dragon (even if I'm still not convinced that a Dragon can become Chaotic) and about demons/daemons (guess I'll have to get AR to get more answers)...

> I like the idea that [Huraya]'s rescued from the
> water spirits for two reasons. 1) It's parallel to the Lightning Spear and
> the Sandles of Darkness in that its an item taken from another pantheon.
> The Shield of Arran, I suspect, was wrestled from Babs Gor rather than
> simply loaned, so that would make all 4 of a type. 2) These items represent
> Orlanth's conquest of the other elements. They're part of how he became
> king of the gods. He keeps them as trophies or regalia.

Yes, that's exactly the PoV I used in the episod "Les Armes d'Orlanth" (Orlanth's weapons) that I wrote. Four weapons, four foreign tribes, four elements...
I can tell you to buy Casus Belli 1 to get the full episod but it's written in French. Maybe it's available on their website (www.casusbelli.com) I'll have to check.
All I can to is to send an approximate translation of the myth that is "the basis" of the episod... pardon my english, it's far from perfect... I hope it's still understandable and not too laughable. Of course I'll gladly receive any constructive remark about this short translation...

How Orlanth found its four weapons (and how he defeated Impious) One morning a stranger entered Orlanth's tula. He came by the Grey Path that no one had ever used before. Issaries Goldentongue raised his arms to the sky and said "This man comes from unknown places." The stranger stopped by the doors of Orlanth's stead. His armor bore marks that no one had ever seen before. The wise Lankhor Mhy stroke his beard and said "This foreigner belongs to no tribe". The stranger took out his gloves. His hands were covered with glassy scales. Chalana Arroy, the white lady, put her hand on her heart and said "This creature is not human". The stranger took out his helmet. His stare was emptier than the primal void. Sleepless Humakt grasped the hilt of his sword and said "This alien is not in the nature of things". Since nobody knew what the stranger wanted, Orlanth Lawspeaker welcomed him as tradition bids. "Hail to thee, foreigner. If peace brought you on my land, be welcome. Share the salt of hospitality and youıll be honored as guest in my tribe. If war is what you look for, then go back from where you come because we never mean to fight for no reason." The stranger remain silent for a while then it answered, with a harsh voice that sounded like nothing else : "I didn't come for peace and I don't care about war." And with those words, silence fell on Orlanth's stead. Again, Orlanth Goodvoice argued "Your words are a mystery and your silence insults my clan. Who are you? Why did you come to my stead? What are you looking for? By my name and honor, answer now, I order you!" The stranger sniggered grimly and fixed his empty stare on Orlanth's eyes. His unmistakable voice rose once again, frightening even the proudest thanes of the tribe. "I'm Impious and I came to destroy your tribe, your tradition and your lineage. I challenge you, Orlanth. In seven days and seven nights, I will come again in this very place and I will face your best warrior in a duel. If he loses, you'll lose your throne, your wife and your honor. If I'm beaten, you'll reign on my lands, my warriors will obey you and my power will be yours."
The stranger then started to go away but, before he put on his helmet and his gloves, he turned to Orlanth and said "Nobody can beat me. On the seventh day, your champion will fail and your tribe will be mine." And he left by the Grey Path, leaving Orlanth's village in confusion and despair. Feeling the weakness and doubt in his people's heart, Orlanth Rex understood that he was to act and he declared "Do not fear. Even if Impious is alien, I know that there's no frost that can't melt, no river that can't be crossed, no stone that can't break, no fire you can't put off. This evening, we will celebrate the power of our tribe and the might of our ways and tomorrow, at dawn, I'll leave and look for a secret that will give us victory. Before the dawn of the eighth day, I'll be back to face Impious' challenge and our tribe will prevail."
Thus Orlanth acted wisely because the feast united the heart and soul of his people, and, fostered by this faith, the Adventurous King knew that he could not fail and that he would find a way to fight Impious. When the sun set, Argan Argan the Shadowalker, stood behind Orlanth and whispered : ³My king, I know a weapon that could help you win : when I was among the shadow tribe, I saw the matriarches worship a relic in the Black Cave. Next to the Darkness Brothers, you will find the Sandals of Mother Uz.²
During the feast, Heler Raintamer came and filled Orlanthıs cup and murmured in his ear : ³My king, I know a weapon that could help you win : when I was in the sea tribe, I heard that yound naïads kept a relic in the Drowned Marsh. In the hands of a Water Daughter, you will find the Scarf of Mist.² Just before the sleep, Queen Ernalda, the handsome wife, snuggled up in Orlanthıs arms and sweetly humed: ³My king, I know a weapon that could help you win : when I was in the earth tribe, I gave to Babeester Gor a relic that was found in the mysteries of the standing stones. Amongst the Untamed Warmaids, you will the Shield of Arran.² When the day rose, Elmal the Sky Rider brought Orlanth his royal helmet and slipped softly in his ear : ³My king, I know a weapon that could help you win : when I was in the sky tribe, I guessed that a slave had hidden a relic lost by the Emporor during a hunt. Thanks to the Light Child, you will the Lightning Spear.²

On the first day of his quest, Orlanth Goodvoice went to the shadow tribe. There, he challenged the Darkness Brothers and was beaten thrice. But while the dark warriors celebrated their victories, during the night, Orlanth entered the Black Cave and took the Sandals of Mother Uz. On the second day of his quest, Orlanth Thunderous went to the sea tribe. There, he was told that Huraya, an urchin girl, had been given over to the Blue Monster. Orlanth drained the lair of the Monster and could immobilize the beast and set Huraya free. The Water Daughter pledge alliegance to the Storm Lord and, as a token of gratitude, she gave him the Scarf of Mist. On the third day of his quest, Orlanth Warrior went to the earth tribe. There he met the Untamed Warmaids. As Huraya testified for him, they let Orlanth go and challenge their chieftain, Babeester Gor. After an endless duel, Orlanth eventually vainquished the Avenging Daugther and won the Shield of Arran.
On the fourth day of his quest, Orlanth Adventurous choose to go back to his own tribe. There, while he rested, he could put his people at ease and leave Huraya in safety. Orlanth was wise, because some of the Storm tribe were unsettled by the worries and the coming danger and they were about to desert the village and betray their own blood. During a celebration for Hurayaıs adoption in his family, Orlanth Rex told his achievements, won back the trust of the weakest souls of the tribe and recovered enough strength and confidence to leave again for new adventures. On the fifth day of his quest, Orlanth Rebel went to the sky tribe. There he found out that the Light Child led a life of humiliation and slavery in the Sky Court. Appaled by this lot, Orlanth braved the autority of the Emperor and freed the Light Child. The son of Brightness, at last emancipated, disclosed his secret to the Storm king and Orlanth discovered the Lightning Spear.
Then, without waiting for the dawn, Orlanth Adventurous took his four new weapons and trod upon the Grey Path. He reached an alien and hostile land. In the center of a weird valley stood a fort guarded by a hundred and one inhuman sentries. Thanks to the Sandals of Mother Uz, Orlanth entered the fort unnoticed. Through the window of the main building, he spotted Impious talking to some monstruous lieutenant : ³Tomorrow, I will face Orlanthıs champion. If I win, all the Storm tribe will be mine. If I lose, Orlanth will rule over my land, which is a festering cesspit. My warriors will obey him, but theyıll pervert his women and his traditions. He will have my powers and they will corrupt him. In his turn, he will be Impious and, through his decay, Iıll live again. Whatever happens, his tribe, his tradition and his lineage will be crushed.² Orlanth understood that the challenge was just a trap and that his opponent had no honor. Brandishing the Lightning Spear, he rushed into action. He first splitted the skull of the lieutenant that had interposed himself. Then, thanks to the Shield of Arran, the Storm king managed to parry the ungodly powers of Impiousı weapons. And eventually Orlanth the Warrior stroke the beast with a mighty blow that pierced its guts, its heart and its brain. But Impious still found enough strength to call out for his hundred and one sentries before dying. Using the Scarf of Mist, Orlanth eluded his pursuers and escaped by the Grey Path. He came back to his village, knowing in his heart that he had prevailed against an evil that no champion could have beaten. Warned by Huraya, the whole tribe had gathered and acclaimed its king that both had destroyed Impious and found four legendary weapons to save his people.

IMO, this myth can be used as guideline for a ritual (or a heroquest) against a foe that goes "against the order of nature" (lunar, draconic, chaotic,... heortling have many choices in their PoV) In the episod I wrote, the Heroes don't actually do any ritual or HQ, but, because of some strange events (it's just before Sacred Time, a foe of their clan is heroquesting against them, the Other Side is unusually close to the physical plane) the reality seems to "fit" the myth and the legend gives clues on how to solve the situation and save the day. Maybe this episod will eventually be translated in English, we'll see. But at least you got the text on which it's based.

XS, game-theorist but also game-practitioner

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #715