Re: Measure

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:56:30 +0100 (BST)

Kmnellist on Dara Happa's elegant decimal system:
> Of course, 4 days in a week, 7 days in a week, but a different week, 4
> seasons in a year, except the 5 seasons, and the sacred time, Ten, which is
> of course, perfect number, as well as seven, which is pretty darn 'ten'like
> these days.

Seemed very clear to me!

> Those Buserians have six different abaci just to keep track of
> the day of the week.

Or was that eight?

> Heortlings have their own problems; 'no one can make me measure anything' ,
> and 'there is always another measurement'

Snerk! "Breaking the ruler is always an option..." And counting things must be as bad: Imagine the roll-call for the Seven Lightbringers:

"OK, Orlanth, Eurmal, Issaries, me, Challana Arroy, and Flesh Man: yes, 'all seven' of us are here!"

richc_at_sypte.co.uk:
> What is the derivation of that "Ob-" prefix by the way? I can see what
> it means from context but what does it _mean_?

Obligatory...

> Getting back to it - I'm absolutely certain both Sartarites and Dara
> Happans will have the concept (not the shared name of course) of a
> "furlong" meaning the length of a furrow. Of course just as they use
> different ploughs (I seem to recall) they will have different standard
> lengths of a furrow with lots of opportunities for confusion. "I told
> the native contingent to meet us a hundred furlongs north of the bridge,
> Sir. I can't understand where they've got to."

They do have different ploughs, though really, the variable here is size of field! I agree, it does seem a compelling and handy unit though, whatever its actual size. (Perhaps Odaylans and DH paddy farmers might disagree...)

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #718