Orlanthi vs Yelmalio riddling, Yelmalio vs Antirius/Urvanius

From: Groovydood <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:05:29 -0400

Hello, all!

In preparing for my upcoming Pavis HW campaign, it seems to me that Yelmalio is really only a Dara Happan cult in the most vague of senses, and is far more of a barbarian interpretation of proper solar values. This is no doubt due to the fact that Dara Happan vs Dragon Pass culture and the lines between Dara Happan and Heortling have become much more distinct as we have learned more about Glorantha as the years have rolled by. Obviously, the Yelmalios (at least the ones in the River of Cradles region) aren't Heortling, but neither are they Dara Happan, as far as I can tell, although they do mimic many important patterns in solar culture. I'm of the suspicion that Dragon Pass Yelmalios mimic Heortling culture more closely than Praxian Yelmalios due to their Elmal roots.

I'd imagine that direct worship and devotion to Yelm is sacrosanct, as only certain Dara Happan noble families may worship him directly, in the River of Cradles region. What I'm curious about is the renewed contact between Praxian Yelmalions and the Dara Happans that came along with the Lunar occupation army after the invasion of 1610. While the vast majority of troops would be Lunar regulars, no doubt from Tarsh and not that different from those damnable Orlanthi, in the main invasion force there may wall have been dedicated Dara Happan units such as Urvanius followers, Saggitus archers and (heaven help us) even a small unit of Shargashi. Send forth the Elevens!

I'm curious as to the cross pollenization brought forth between "native" Yelmalion/Praxian belief and that of solar worshipping settlers in the River of Cradles Grantlands region. I'm sure nobles like Duke Raus have brought along sturdy Lodrilites, and I believe it's been hinted that some Yelmic nobles have been exiled to Prax for the same reasons that Raus was. These nobles would bring with them their loyal Buserians and other religious functionaries. What would a Buserian or Dayzatar priest from Raibanth or Yuthuppa think of the quaint ways of Praxian Yelmalions?

On the Yelmalion side, I think that contact with Dara Happan solars would be a danger and a opportunity. Doctrinally, the dukes of Sun County have been able to provide religious interpretation and control doctrine for centuries. Anyone who comes forth with the "true" way that would challenge their beliefs, priest of Yelm or no, may be in for a rude shock. Further, the Lunar authorities may sponsor Heroquets into the local Yelmalion myths, to "prove" that Yelmalio is indeed Antirius, most likely through the Hill of Gold quest.

On the custom of Orlanthi-Yelmalion riddling - I suspect that this is really only a riddling custom between Dragon Pass-Prax Yelmalios and local Orlanthi, perhaps stemming from an earlier Orlanth-Elmal custom. Elsewise, this custom could have arose as a friendly means of competition between Dara Happans and Heortlings during the Bright Empire age, when the two cultures were fused mythically and were nominally friendly.

Chris Bell