Re: Fulguration

From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:11:22 +0200

> From: Frederic Ferro <ferro_at_princeton.edu>
> "Brontoscopia" is also used to describe the etruscan discipline in their
> "libri fulgurales".

Brontoskopia is quite nice. But it sounds more like divination not by lightning but by thunder, which does not seem to matter much. Any soothsayer worth his salt should of course take both into account.

>Tinia (=Jupiter Tonans?) gave his lightning to other gods to use it for
>portents.

There is also a specialized roman god for lightning, could be Tinia, or is it Lightning Boy? (He (she?) was probably ranked just above the god of mustard.)

> Fulgur(i)ator is an ambiguous word: scholars still wonder whether it means
> lightning-interpreter or something like storm-bringer

The Lewis & Short Latin Dictionary has a couple of quotes where fulguratores are mentioned in the same breath as haruspices, that seems pretty clear to me. Or are you saying that Elric bears the demonblade Fulgurator :-)

> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
> Do you think, since Shargash is the Fulgurator, that a player might abuse the HW game
> system, and have just one Feat for *both* Divination *and* Combat ?

Oh, definetely! At least so long as the player, with the narrator's approval, only speaks Latin during the whole session ;-)

 --
Henrix