Fulguration

From: Frederic Ferro <ferro_at_princeton.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:51:58 +0200

Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr> scripsit:
>> We could of course go for the greek term, but Keraunoskopia is a bit more of
>> a mouthful.

> Keraunospection / Keryanospection / Keryanospect : no thanks !

Of course not. No Neologism should ever mix Greek & Latin.

>> Another old favourite is of course aeromancy,

"Brontoscopia" is also used to describe the etruscan discipline in their "libri fulgurales". Tinia (=Jupiter Tonans?) gave his lightning to other gods to use it for portents. The 11 areas of the sky seem to be linked to the 16 sections of "hepatoscopy" (liver-inspection). Places which had been struck by lightning became holy, they were called "bidental" and a lamb was sacrificed there.

Fulgur(i)ator is an ambiguous word: scholars still wonder whether it means lightning-interpreter or something like storm-bringer (see G. Dumezil, La religion romaine archaique, p. 635).

ObGlorantha: Did you know that some Lunars can read the skeins of destiny by the flight of bats and owls or in the liver of Teelo Norri volunteers?

Frédéric

http://www.geocities.com/anacharsis_2/