Re: Fulguration

From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 01:11:26 +0200

> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
> We're discussing the word 'fulgurator' which, IMO, is an Aspect of Shargash :
>
> Shargash Fulgurator
>
> Others believe that it's a good word for divination via lightning bolts.

No, no, don't get me wrong. It _is_ excellent as an epiteph for somebody who throws lightning around.

It was also used, by the Romans, for somebody who took the auspices from watching lightning.

If really you want to have different words for different occasions, try Fulminator, as in Jupiter Fulminator.

> My Inner Pedant has no problems with 'fulguriator' ... ;-)

If the lit snob cap fits... :-)

> > For the verb form I would have chosen someting similar to your proposals, but
> > the same dictionary has it as fulguratura, as in "Etrusci libri de
> > fulguratura". Fulguration sounds like a good anglicism for that.
>
> For 'fulguraturation / fulcraturation' ? ugh !

"I interprete the lightning" would be fulgurato, and so, perhaps, fulguration. If you don't like it, don't use it. The anglicization of latin words follow no strict rules.

> Keraunospection / Keryanospection / Keryanospect : no thanks !

> I think I might have been too harsh with my Inner Snob : 'fulcrimancer /
> filguromancer' is probably acceptable ...

I don't know about your inner snob, but mine's pretty harsh ;-), and says: don't mix latin and greek (except when they did, of course). Therefore: keraunoscopy or fulcrispection. The latter from a term the romans do not seem to have used, as far a I know. You could argue for keraunomancy, but again, the greeks seem to have preferred keraunoscopy. A fulcrispex could of course be taken as somebody who looks at, or divines from, bedposts (fulcrum) :-o

I suggested Read Lightning, but a better one would be: Interprete Lightning (or even Thunder) ;-)

> Has anyone else read chapter XXV of Rabelais' Third Book ?

Afraid not, is it good? (So much to read, so little time B-(

And just to keep it up: Belomancy, prophesizing from how an arrow flies. Probably not for the Orlanthi.

  --
Henrix,
whose latin isn't really that good. But the Perseus project (and a good latin-swedish dictionary) is a great help, at www.perseus.tufts.edu