Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #730

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:12:32 -0400

The wolf-dog hybrids are so uncontroversial that I've met two. At least some mammalogists go so far as to say, "Dogs are gray wolves." (See http://www.kcdata.com/~wolf2dog/wayne2.htm.) This paper also covers molecular evidence of coyote/wolf hybridization in North America. I have read that the jackal and dog can cross, but can't immediately find a source (nor a refutation).

> Besides, none of these are as small as a housecat. The variation in
> size, excepting some (human controlled) breeds of dog, is not "from
> housecat to jaguar" (RQ2).

Jackal-to-gray wolf is a big range, though. - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming <http://www.iconsf.org/>