Re: Odaylan hunting

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:26:56 +0100

In message Odaylan hunting, Joerg Baumgartner writes
>Odayla has the bear totem. Bears aren't exactly herding hunters either,
>they tend to trundle through the forest, then display a surprising turn
>of speed and not so surprising power. Imagine a bear rushing a prey, and
>a cat pouncing it just then.
>
>There might be a myth in this.

Someone once told me[*] a tale of how his mum's two cats used to hunt Dogs in their neighbourhood - Apparently these were two large cats, and they would work as a team. Cat 1 would find a suitable bush to hide behind, and set the ambush, while Cat 2 would provide the bait, wandering up and down waiting for a Dog to show up, at which point it would attract it's attention and start to run away, leading it past the point where Cat 1 was waiting. As the hapless hound passed Cat 1, it would leap out on it from behind, a whirlwind of claws, teeth and spit! Needless to say, this would distract the dog, who would stop chasing Cat 2, and turn round to find out what was attacking it from behind. Unfortunately, this lead to it making the cardinal error of taking it's eye off the enemy - in this case Cat 2, who has stopped running away, and turning hits the dog in a second whirlwind! At this point the poor dog starts to get paranoid and decides not to chase cats anymore...

[*] and at a games convention to boot!
- --

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |