Odaylan hunting

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:47:36 +0000

Henrix:
> But this brings me to another, related, question. One of
> the reasons dogs make good hunting animals is, exactly,
> that they normally hunt in packs. Cooperating with humans
> instead of dogs is easy (personally I find the reverse
> easier, but I'm not a dog).

> How do the Odaylans do? What use is their shadow cats, beside
> looking cool, in the hunt?

How about the humans do the scaring and herding, and the cat makes the move to kill, with the actual kill shared?

Cats do have superior senses compared to puny humans. They might be able to direct their humans.

No, this isn't the Black Horse Troop again, or is it?

Odayla has the bear totem. Bears aren't exactly herding hunters either, they tend to trundle through the forest, then display a surprising turn of speed and not so surprising power. Imagine a bear rushing a prey, and a cat pouncing it just then.

There might be a myth in this.

> I don't really see the cats herding the prey, or fetching the
> fowl (I was going to say Duck, but repented) out of the water.

Who said that Orlanthi don't shoot sitting ducks? If doing so, why wait for them to reach some wet place?

How much are Alynxes suited to arboreal hunting, or movement?