Giants

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:31:44 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

> >The ancestors of the Praxians (in the days when Genert was alive)
> >were Theists.

>Do you mean the Founders' generation of the Beast Riders, or the various
>obscure Golden Age People whose few surviving descendants include the Oasis
>People?

Both.

>The Golden Age Praxians might well have been theists (although this has
>slightly nasty consequences for the worship at the Paps, re: misapplied
>ecstatic worship of theist entities).

I don't think so. I'm of the opinion that the Paps works similar to the Eternal Battle for the Storm Bull/Urox. The Priestess goes in very deep until she reaches the Good Old Days whereupon she can get feats.

> >Generally before the Storm Age, practitioners of
> >the four viewpoints tend to be found in specific geographical
> >regions (Theists - North, Sorcerors - West, Mystics - East and
> >Animists - South).

>With the exception that the earliest animists - the Hsunchen -
>migrated from the South even before Pamalt showed up, and were
>practically omnipresent after the Green Age.

Two quibbles:

I don't think they were present in significant numbers before the Storm Age as they don't seem to be noticeable in much mythology before that time.

Pamalt was around when Earthmaker made the world and was chosen as leader of the Old Gods because he was the only one everybody knew.

>BTW, according to their own myths, the Beast Riders rode in from
>the south as well.

I'm guessing from Storm Bull's presence that this was a Storm Age event.

> >Giants are also found in the mythology of the Pelorians (Gerendetho,
> >Ko and Char) and the Orlanthi (the Wicked Uncles KoS p64).

>True, but are these the Elder Giants in the sense of Gonn Orta's
>older kin?

Gonn Orta himself comes from Fronela and Gerendetho definitely is on a path between Fronela and Prax.

>I have the suspicion that Larnste sowing the Rockwoods and the
>dragon-giant war describe two versions of the same event.

I think a more appropriate Orlanthi equivalent of the Giant-Dragon War is actually the First War KoS p59. It has the right sort of resonance to be the same event as the Giant-Dragon War.