Re: Sounders Vale

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 16:50:12 2000

Oliver Bernuetz

>Does anyone know who would have lived in this region in the 14th century?

Few sedentary residents, if any besides possibly a few Oasis people at the site of Knight Fort, at that time a largely abandoned complex of fortification ruins IMG.

>Should have asked this with my last question but was is known about the
>area historically. (I realize this is probably a silly question). When did
>Hendrikiland take the region over?

Hendrikiland taking over in southwestern Prax is similar to Lunar Empire taking over in the Redlands: Most settlers from Hendrikiland who went into the Border Marches were dissidents and exiles. While they may acknowledge the king beyond the mountains, that's far away.

IMO settlement here would have started within two generations after the Dragonkill War. Trader Princes were looking for a new spice route and resettled Knight Fort, and the unrest in Heortland which led to the civil wars around Belintar's arrival was slowly simmering.

Some refugees from Dragon Pass may have decided to take new land there rather than crowd into Heortland. Same for Hendriki feeling crowded in their ancestral lands.

A lot more people would have come fleeing the same civil war which sent lots of settlers into Dragon Pass.

IMG the Hendriki conquered Refuge and the Bandori Valley around 1350. They never bothered to invade the marches but used their control over the civilized trade routes to get an arrangement.