Re: Chalanans

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:54:58 -0500

> From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
> Subject: More Chalana Arroy
>> Another problem arises with the cults niche in the 'religious ecology'.
>> If Chalanans are diplomats, doesn't that duplicate Issaries' function as a
>> diplomat and conciliator?  While it's certainly possible for two cults to
>> have similar functions, I think there'd be a strong tendency for cults to
>> gravitate toward their unique functions.

> Well, I thought about mentioning Issaries, but I was trying to be
> terse (there's Orlanth Goldentongue, too, for what it's worth). I'm
> thinking that the Chalanans would be diplomats and the Issarians envoys. In
> other words, Issaries looks out for those who go out carrying messages and
> making new contacts (and encountering people who don't respect the sanctity
> of the Chalanans), while Chalana Arroy teaches people to heal conflict
> within society and repair bonds that have been broken by war, distrust,
> whatever. So you send the White Healer to talk to the next clan or tribe
> and the Merchant to negotiate with the neighboring king or that empire. Or
> is this too specialized?

    Yes and no. No, it certainly fits, but yes it does seem over-specialized. Part of Issaries role it to be a conciliator between warring/feuding parties. I think Issarions would be the first choice of rulers, but Chalanans might go on their own, or be sent if an Issarion isn't available.

Andrew E. Larsen