Re: Worlds

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:26:02 +0100

>>Olli
>>The GL saw their connections to the
>>"worlds" as they called them and reduced the cultures they encountered
>>into their basic components, althought the sum is greater than the parts.

>Alex
>Exactly. The God Learners have the best 'unified theory' on Glorantha
>going.

What is left of GL theory. The Gift Carriers eliminated one secret.

>>Me
>>Advanced GL theory:
>>there is 7 viewpoints,
>>4 of them are worlds (analogy to the winds) that heroquesting mortal can visit
>>Another is Draconic/Dragonewt
>>Number 6 is ... well, Anybody got an idea ? Dreamworld ?
>>Number 7 is the extinct one Pete mention.

>David Cake
>You can assign these to directions if you want, the same as the seven winds.
>the four most people use are the four directions
>animist - south
>sorcery - west
>theist - north
>mystic - east
>the seventh is probably the centre - the Celestial Court, now destroyed.
>So that just leaves us with up and down.

>Olli
>Hmm. No-Wind, Brastalos is in the center and so was the Spike... "East
>Wind filled his head with strange thoughts" (sounds dream-like to me)

That's what I had in mind. However Olli Kantola points out

>Dream world must be one of the four, because it is the most frequently
>visited one, whereas there is no mystical realm to visit. The dream world
>is also very closely integrated to the rest. Everyone has dreams in
>Glorantha(perhaps the westerners have the least), but not all use them to
>make magic...

I was wrong with the idea that the 4 directions gives the worlds that can be visited but I think it would be more balanced with Draconic Up and Dream Down (or the reverse, anybody with arguments pro or con ?). This puts Dreams and Dragonewts on the same "Axle". This accounts for the Dragonewts dreams that manifests IN the World. All 4 GL categories have the same relationship to Dream but each has it's own view (and use) of it.

From related thread
>>Olli
>>Hmm. So the Kralori are basicly mystics "tainted" with dragonic elements,

>Alex
>The point is, if you don't recognise more than the four worlds, then
>they 'must be' mystics (or some crossbreed thereof -- let's not get
>into that). If you're prepared to recognised the draconic world
>as being in some way distinct, then you needn't explain them with
>reference to mysticism at all.

This gives the Dragonewt 1 of 6 pure viewpoints, Kralori are mixed users Draconic/Mystic, EWF were Theist/Draconic in the same way that Heortlings are Theist/Animist

This gives the following. Note that all entries don't have to be filled. Ideas to fill the gaps or better examples ?

Primary Theist Animist Mystic Sorcery Draconic Dream Secondary

Theist    DH          Prax       ?         Stygian   ?           ?
Animist   Heortling   Pamaltela  ?         ?         ?           ?
Mystic    ?           ?          Vithela   ?         ?           ?
Sorcery   Lunar (*)   ?          ?         Brithos   ?           ?
Draconic  EWF         ?          Kralorela ?         Dragonewts  ?
Dream     ?           ?          (**)      ?         ?           ?

I think the more way you master, the more you are in tune to the deep reality of the world. This gives you more power but you are more vulnerable/open to Chaos (Lunar for example).

The more you know, the more you understand was is left.

Beyond a limit that the GL crossed, you can't avoid to know too much. This is the Gift of the Gift Carriers.
You understand everything, your least thought has a tremendous effect and you inadvertently destroy yourself and everything around.

>Olli (#726)
>What I think that actually happens is that heroes can bring the GodTime
>back(for a while atleast)... There is a heroquest about
>Arkat/Gbaji/Nysalor s final fight. During the Sunstop GodTime returned
>too. So I theorise that, even though heroes create enw things to the
>world, that act of creation itself brings the world closer to the
>annihialation that the gods warded off by the compromise(or what ever
>IF,WW you prefer).

Every succefull use of this kind of power marks a new age because it remake/reshape the world.
To destroy the Red Moon, Argrath has to reshape the world because what was done at Castle Blue cannot be removed otherwise.

Related thread
>>Me
>> I don't think Chaos is one of the seven. Chaos is in the
>> cracks of space and time. It can be anywhere and you find
>Olli
>Cracks can only form in a surface hard enough.

Something cracked is broken. Laws, Word, Promises may be broken. Rape, Mindless violence, lack of Moral in general are gates for Chaos.

>BTW, did anyone notice that there was no chaos before the Golden Age.

Chaos only enters the world with the ritual conducted by the Unholy Trio. IIRC this marks the beginning of the Greater Darkness. So there is no Chaos even in the first part of Storm Age.

Sorry to have been so long.

;-) Hervé